Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Harvest Dome "A creation of many hands"

           
Harvest Dome being placed into the Bronx River by SIMS metal management staff
Located adjacent to Hunts Point Riverside Park

    Have you ever wondered why our communities are so boring at times ? well I have, it is because our communities accross the nation lack a sense of creativity because of the rise of violence and hustle and bustle and creativity in the Bronx River is next to none because of its long history of industry. A few years ago I met a nice, well present couple, Alex and Amanda otherwise known as SLO arcitects. We worked on a project that was introduced to us by the bronx buro president at the time and it came to me as a project that presented opportunity of growth. The project know as the Bronx River water raft was created and completed in 2 seasional semestars and floated successfully, I was proud of the work I had done and the exprience was so inspiring that I said I had to do this again.

  A few months ago alex and amanda once again contacted me via linkedin.com and told me about this project they had in mind. The idea was to recycle umbrellas and create a dome that would sit in the inlet at Inwood Park. I was intrested so they emailed me the information about the project and I was excited to once again embark on an project was was insane in my mind but creative in others, insane in a sense of good as in I had no idea of how this would look.

  I went to meet up with them for the first time in two summers at Hunts Point Riverside Park. when I arrived they once again welcomed me with open arms and we began to work and discuss the Harvest Dome. Over the next few months I introduced friends and family to the project so that the end result would be that teens and adults from the Bronx would have a first hand experience in something as creative as this was. We started out building the frame then worked on a small scale model of the actual project then we tested tubes then with the help of the community umbrellas were gathered then stripped on site then we began to place the tubes in place with minor issues then after all was said and done we placed the umbrellas and got the dome ready for lift off.






















































































The Harvest Dome was floated but in the process there was a mishap and basically the dome had to be scrapped. 

USEFUL LINKS

Alex and Amanda website

Bronx River Alliance 

Rocking The Boat

The Bronx Free Press

Harvest Dome on camera

2 comments:

  1. Dear Andre,

    Told straight from the heart! You would be happy to know that, though the Harvest Dome you helped build this past summer ended up marooned on Rikers Island that morning, and then was winched out of the rocky riprap by correctional officers and crushed, we are undaunted! Harvest Dome 2.0 is already underway, and many who came out for the Opening at the Inwood Hill Park Inlet Nature Center have put their support into the rebuilding campaign! By the end of Summer 2012, Harvest Dome 2.0 will float out on the Inlet yet!

    Are you in? You are always welcome, Andre! Can't wait to see you again!

    Sincerely,
    Alex & Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alex/Amanda

    I am definitely up for dome 2.0 email me the information on where and what times and I have no problem working on it. I will also try to bring more folks on to lend hands.

    Sincerely
    Andre....
    andrerivera801@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete