Sunday, January 29, 2012

A community of HOPE

G.I.V.E.
GETTING INVOLVED VIRGINIA AVE EFFORTS

Check out the newly made promo.


Thanks to News12 The Bronx for the lovely report 
  
  The idea of G.I.V.E. came out of a small project that was started back in the early spring of 2011, once unemployed director Nilka Martell had lots of time and decided that it was time to do something with that time. On her block there is an area that had been neglected and vandalized so she decided to ask the local C-Town owners if she could work on a little project, they gladly accepted and the project began. From corn stalks to million trees  to the simplest of perennials and annuals beauty  was never a question. It has always been a question of whats good and whats bad, NYC official agencies have neglected this area until the likes of Nilka and her littlest volunteers that came along and have done greatness. 

  I came into the picture back in May and April when giving tours to Nilka and her family she would mention the garden and I would say if you needed me to come see it, I would not have a problem. What started as two canoe tours and one private tour on the river turned into hey Andre aka "DRE the adopted son" can you come check out these trees to tell me whats wrong ?, so I did next thing you know im was there on a weekly basis helping to water, plant, pull weeds, and even give advice on plants. The idea of G.I.V.E,Inc really took off after a few thoughts of getting grants to maintain and redo the project. 

   With the help of some of our friends and our other director of G.I.V.E. Christine Ortega  we found a grant called Citizens Committee and we worked the different meetings and got selected back in the winter of 2011 for the grant. We began to file for papers and got incorporated by the Secretary of State of New York and had our tax id filed. We are working on 501(C)3 exempt and are looking at two other grants to do two other great G.I.V.E,Inc projects.

Stay tuned on May 14th, 2012 we are celebrating our work.
rain date May20th, 2012

"BEST OF THE BRONX" <---- News12 The Bronx


"Improving youth and quality of life one street at a time"

1 comment:

  1. I am so grateful for those canoe rides .... and never did I imagine that our time together would lead to such fabulous work! And I adoptd a son as well ;-) lol (nilka)

    ReplyDelete