Monday, February 25, 2013

Temple for Tomorrow, Mountains for Freedom

           
                Temple for Tomorrow, Mountains for Freedom
           “We build our temples for tomorrow, strong as we know how and we stand on top of the mountain free within ourselves.” Langston Hughes had a great point when he wrote this quote, I agree with his thought. I agree with his quote because life is full of miss-comings but one of the best ways to be successful is to avoid it all together. My life “temple” is to do political work so that I can not only improve my community but what my community stands for.
            When I was younger I remembered my family struggling to make ends meet and its still is the same today. One thing I always wondered was why me and w\my family it bothered me because I felt like I was fighting a solo fight  to be free from pain and struggle, with this goal in my future I figured that I could use my passion to help others while helping myself. I did not like to see people suffer even if it is the path of life but more importantly I do not like to suffer so I help the community so I can help myself. My community is my mountain and my success is the river that flows through it.
            Talk is cheap that is why I get involved in the community. I go out on the Bronx river so that I can educated myself about what is going on because a temple is a very sacred place so if I really want to create a better community using my struggles I must understand the struggles that people go through and those that I have gone through myself.  I created a not for profit with my friend to get others involved and to bridge the cultural gaps because we are all in the struggle together. I was the first to graducate high school and continue onto college in my family. I value education it is a characteristic we need to be happy with what we want. To say that I want to be a leader but sit on my behind would be a tradition so I have to be about what I say
            In closing Langston Huges used his gift of words to inspire and move people, just as I do with my actions. You have to know yourself to make a difference, knowing what you want to do helps you free yourself. Langston hughes often would write about following your dreams and following what you believe which was honorable. For those who did not have a path his work moved people to do something, his work will always inspire people.
           

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Andre, I have read your blog and enjoyed it. I would like you to come to my final walking tour on Saturday, March 9 and be one of our featured speakers along with Nilka Martell talking about what it means to have the Bronx River as your muse. I want you to speak on the river's parks as your outdoor library and perhaps how the clearer mind that often comes from a rich outdoor life helps you study as a learner. Are do down? I'm hoping Mike Gupta will do the same. See details at http://bronxriver.org/?pg=content&p=calendarandnews&m1=54&month=03&year=2013&day=9

    ReplyDelete