Monday, November 26, 2012

A Memorable Thanksgiving........



                   A Memorable Thanksgiving........

     Thanksgiving a holiday full of thankfulness, a time of the year to stop and reflect of what has been, what is and what will be in the future. Thanksgiving a time to sit and communicate with family, although sometimes it is not with family. Everyone has something to be thankful for, but for what exactly is a great question to be asked. Thanksgiving also has its historical background and if you look into it, doesn't always look good, so what are we celebrating ? If its supposed to be a good holiday what does it look like and how should it look like ?
       The question of what does it look like and what should it look like has always been a question I have had to ask myself and everyone in my immediate circle. Year after year my family gathers and sometimes it is good and sometimes it is bad. Good because we only get to see each other once in a blue. Bad because unfortunately not everyone can be in the same room without wanting to kill each other. But what should a traditional Thanksgiving look like for us, a simple question that at times can be hard to answer......
       My most memorable Thanksgiving of all my 19 years of life had to be this year. A week before Thanksgiving 2012 there was a death in my family, my brother in law had lost his grandmother and it was an emotional time for most of us physically and mentally. Although I normally do not have feelings for death I understood how deep in pain he must have been. My sister, my brother in law and niece all went to Florida to bury her and remember her for the person she was, and that had left questions in my mind. Not out of selfishness or self contentedness but out of question because at the end of the day that is all I do, question.
       Thanksgiving day 2012 came and it was a day after my brother in law had buried his mother so it was like how are we going to be doing this, I was not really expecting anything but family maybe at that. I was surprised to say the least when I entered my sisters house. The dining table was set in decoration for Thanksgiving with all the different clothes and napkins and plates with all the different platters, some being pie, cake and even nuts with a nutcracker standing not far. My sister was still cooking so we started to take pictures with my mother and nephews. We were expecting my brother in law family and my family and it went off without a hitch. The food was cooked and place in their rightful spots, rice at the rice holder, the Turkey and pork in their rightful spot, happy with pineapple and cherries and stuffing and the scraps.
       It was memorable not for the food or decorations but rather for the community, family likeness of it. It was the first time everyone was in the same room without arguments and drama. It was the first time we had been together holding hands praying over the food and telling stories of previous Thanksgivings. We then took more photos some with my sister and mother then the nephews with their grandmother and such. When it came time to dig in as we call it in my family, the food was hot and still steaming and was gone instantly. The bird had been picked to shreds leaving only the wings still tied and the wishbone still in tacked.
       Finally it came time to go home and I was in a great mood because all I have ever wanted was to have a not so drama filled Thanksgiving. I would pray to god that everyone had the same, I also hope those in need had gotten some sort of help in this time of need. Thanksgiving is a time to be thankful for what you have and one of the biggest things I am thankful for is everything I have, share with others and everything that has not been taken or stolen from me.




No comments:

Post a Comment